Sunday 21 August 2011

Sabbats - Imbolc

Greetings everyone. Imbolc was just a few weeks ago for me, on August 1st, so I figured I would write about this Sabbat real quickly.

What is Imbolc?

Imbolc marks the beginning of spring. It comes around on August 1st for folks from the southern hemisphere, and the 1st of February for those from the northern.  It is a cross-quarter day - approximately halfway between the Winter Solstice (Yule) and the Spring Equinox (Ostara).

Also known as Brigid, Imbolg, Oimelc, Candlemas, or St. Brigid's Day, Imbolc is a reminder that winter will not be around forever, and that spring is coming. Marking the centre point of the dark half of the year, it's the festival of the Maiden aspect of the Goddess, who is preparing for her coming growth and renewal. She is honoured on this Sabbat as the Bride, and so it is common that all Virgin/Maiden Goddesses are honoured on this holiday, including Brighid.  Gods of love and fertility are also honoured.

Symbols of Imbolc



  • Corn Dollies
  • Besoms
  • White Flowers
  • Candle Wheels
  • Brighid's Crosses
  • Acorn-tipped Wands
  • Ploughs
  • Spring Flowers, Potted bulbs
  • Celtic knotwork
  • Cauldrons/Chalices
  • Goddess Statues
Imbolc Colors

  • White
  • Pink
  • Red
  • Yellow
  • Light Greens
  • Browns
Personal Traditions

When I was growing up, I didn't exactly have any traditions surrounding this time of year.  Being as I am, it's no surprise that I don't hold great rituals, either.  I do, however, take a moment to appreciate the fact that winter is coming to and end.  I do like the cold, wet weather that we get down under during the winter, but it gets so chilly in my house that I find myself hoping for summer to come around sooner rather than later! I'll be regretting it later on, though, when I'm sweating through my clothes, ha ha.

So, what do you do for Imbolc? Feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment